Saturday, February 11, 2012

Beloved.

In April of 2010, my friend Stephanie Swanson, posted on Facebook that her friends Dan and Michael were traveling to Uganda as Sixty Feet.  I was intrigued. I immediately hopped over to their website and read the story that had caused them to take action. These words stung my heart with a physical pain:


"Outside Kampala there is a place where some of these abandoned, unloved and neglected children are kept. And this is where our story begins…
Not long ago a woman was on her way out of Kampala and drove past a dilapidated old sign that read “M”: Rehabilitation Center for Children. She was drawn to learn more about the place so she turned down a long, winding dirt road until she came to the end. To her horror, she found rooms of children locked up, young kids chained to windows, and even a 10 day old, malnourished and living in her own urine. She saw hundreds of children with little food and no supervision. As horrific as this was, on that day God began a glorious story of redemption for these children."


In the months and years that have followed, I have had the joy and the privilege of following the ministry of Sixty Feet in Uganda.  Their hearts for orphan care and for pouring love and care into the people and  country of Uganda are beautiful. When I opened my heart to the faces and the stories on their blog, the faces and the stories of these children would not leave me.  I've said before and I'll say it again:

Sixty Feet has saved our lives ... by saving us from chasing the American Dream  Nightmare.  

It is because of Sixty Feet that our hearts have fallen in love with the country of Uganda.  I feel an intense love for the country and the people.  ( and I haven't even been there - YET ) I'm so thankful that I will have the opportunity to this summer.

But there are many children all over the world, like the ones that Sixty Feet ministers to,  that are not able to be adopted for one reason or another.  And the Lord is calling us to care for them.
Sixty Feet does not exist to facilitate adoptions.  They exist to love on, pray for, and support the imprisoned and abandoned children of Uganda.  They exist to get to them this most life changing message:

You. are. His BELOVED.

The Lord speaks to this in the book of Isaiah.  There are so many encouraging words and instructions for us regarding "setting the captive free"..

While Sean was in Uganda, I had the incredible privilege of painting a canvas for Sixty Feet that will be produced by Glory Haus.  This was a special time for me as the Lord revealed for me even more of his heart for the orphan, the enslaved, and the people laboring on their behalf.  There was even a moment that week where I felt completely unsure of where I was headed with this canvas. At that very moment I happened to get an email from Sean where he poured out his heart to me about what he was experiencing.  It was in that moment that I could literally feel a piece of how he felt as his life was forever affected for these children.

Here is how the canvas turned out.  It is not ready for sale yet, but a very professional printed copy will be up for auction tonight at 60 feet's film premiere BELOVED.

(photo by Christen Fortner)

Is it possible to say that I am excited about tonight?  Im terribly excited.  It's been almost 2 years since the day I was led to www.sixtyfeet.org 
The Lord has done SO MUCH.  Above all, He has transformed lives.  He has transformed lives in Uganda, but He has transformed MY LIFE, too.

You see, those behind physical bars aren't the only ones held captive.  We, too, can be held captive -
- by our sin
- our worldly desires 
- and our not knowing the freedom found in truly knowing His love for us.

As it says in Isaiah, "When you spend yourselves on behalf of the hungry.."
You will find that YOU are HIS BELOVED, too.

Beginning in March, there will be more showings of BELOVED in and around the area. 
I would LOVE for you to come and learn more about this ministry and how you can be a part of it, too.
Message me if you are interested. 
laurakirkland35@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment